Bix Will Be Back
Due to San Francisco’s pre-emptive stay-at-home directive, we will be closed the remainder of the year. We will plan on re-opening when the city allows. We will continue to offer updates on our website and on our social media feeds.
Thanks to you all for your continued support and patronage during this most challenging of times.
- We will be following new disinfecting guidelines, which include cleaning and sanitizing throughout the restaurant and between each reservation.
- Each reservation will be timed to allow for proper cleaning between guests per CA guidelines. In addition, we anticipate possible delays in service as we keep the staff compliant with social distancing requirements.
- Our team members will be wearing face coverings while inside the restaurant and serving guests. Each shift our entire staff will have their temperatures checked before entering the restaurant with our non-contact digital forehead thermometers.
- The coat check will be closed temporarily.
- We have changed the layout of the restaurant to create an outside seating area. The host stand will also be located inside near the front entrance to keep with social distancing. As a temporary measure to minimize contact the host will also refrain from taking you directly to your table. Instead we will utilize table numbers.
- We work with a group of trusted vendors. All vendors will be required to wear masks and gloves while on the property.
YOUR PROMISE TO US
- If you have a fever, chills, cough, muscle pains, headache, loss of taste or smell, or otherwise think you may have been exposed to COVID-19, please cancel your reservation so we can ensure the safety of all our guests and staff.
- Only compete parties will be seated so please have your party arrive together to minimize wait times and increase social distancing.
- You are asked to bring and wear a face covering when you are not eating or drinking.
- Although we will provide single use menus at the time of your reservation our menu is also available here if you would like to review it before your meal or during your meal via your individual smart phone.
- We miss all of our guests and love hugs and handshakes; however, we’ll be a no-contact zone for the time being.
On an enticing alley in San Francisco's historic Jackson Square, a lone neon sign leads into a soaring room of fluted columns, mahogany paneling, plush banquettes and distinguished artwork.
White jacketed bartenders hold forth behind a gently curved bar, mixing what many have called the city’s best classic cocktails. Variously described as a civilized speakeasy, a supper club and an elegant saloon, BIX offers modern American cuisine served in a soaring two-story dining room to the strains of live jazz nightly.
Food and Drink
Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food.
BIX is known for a deep devotion to local products and suppliers. Much of our food comes directly to the restaurant from local farms. Bruce and the culinary team can be found every Saturday at the storied Farmer's Market at the San Francisco Ferry Building sourcing the finest ingredients.
Owner / Proprietor
Doug “Bix” Biederbeck is the proprietor of BIX, which he founded in 1988. His passion for jazz, appreciation of art and commitment to hospitality make BIX a decidedly personal restaurant.
Doug recently published Bixology: Cocktails, Culture and a Guide to the Good Life, a vest-sized handbook offering advice on food, drinks, music and art, as seen through the eyes of a restaurateur.
Chef / Partner
A native of Washington, D.C., Bruce Hill has been cooking in San Francisco since 1984. A self-trained chef, Bruce made his mark in legendary San Francisco restaurants like Stars and Aqua before joining BIX as executive chef and co-owner in 2002.
Under his supervision BIX has gained 3-star status from SF Chronicle food critic Michael Bauer, yearly placement in the Chronicle's TOP 100 Restaurants and a Top 40 ranking in the Zagat guide.
Bruce is also the owner and chef of Zero Zero.